Thursday, April 9, 2015

I Have a Dream Thanks to Dr. King (Part 2)

The art of public speaking is something I admire and it opened up my journey towards becoming an avid reader and writer. I love free-lance writing, not having to worry about my poor use of the semi-colon, and use periods instead of commas to embrace a pause and impactful statement. These all derive from my style of public speaking that I have developed over the last six years. I love free-lance writing because I don’t use notes in my speeches. I do write an outline to study and prepare for my speeches; but I love to have a few quotes in the back of my head, know my purpose of giving the speech, have a few animated stories that I’m willing to share, and just go for it. I use a lot of periods in my personal journal instead of commas because it emphasizes the pauses that everyone is taught to make when they’re giving a speech. I use those pauses a lot, therefore I think that same way in my brain, leading to it translating onto a paper.

 My writing and reading style greatly derives from the way I give speeches, because public speaking was my first date with words, and I fell in love. Since the day I gave the MLK Day speech, I’ve had several presentations that I’ve given to churches, non-profits, and organizations that cater to the development of young children. In the near future I plan on starting a business venture that deals with giving seminars/presentations to other college students and young people. As mentioned earlier, the weekend of the Martin Luther King “I Have a Dream” speeches wasn’t the easiest one I’ve given, but it was definitely the most significant. In the near future, I also hope to write a book once I master the art of writing and live a little longer to have more experiences and stores to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment